Casa José Coltro
Casa Jose Coltro (CJC) is a legally registered Brazilian charity founded in 1988 (by two members of Hearts in Action – Anselmo & Angela Teixeira, among other people). CJC is run by volunteers. It is located in Capao Redondo, a poor suburb of São Paulo, and provide free educational services for a large impoverished population. CJC has a waiting list of hundreds of children, which demonstrates the great need in the community it serves.
- To educate children and teenagers in responsible lifelong attitudes and education.
- To keep them off the streets and exposure to violence and drugs, providing orientation and education, leading them to productive maturity.
- To support their family members and needful mothers with specific courses and orientation.
- “We do not provide the fish, but rather teach them how to fish”.
Services Highlights for 300 children/teens
- Daily classes for 180 children/teens (6-14 years old) and for 120 young adults/family members experiencing unemployment and hardship (over 12% in Brazil).
- Pregnant teens receive lessons on breastfeeding, infant care and immunizations.
- Breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack for 300 students are cooked daily at the facility and served free.
- Christmas and Easter packages (toys, clothes, and hygiene supplies) are given to children and families.